fbq('track', 'ViewContent');

Thursday 19 March 2015

How 'til speak Ulster

Greeting humans,

as you may know, I have been around for a long time. I have see the rise and fall of empires throughout the centuries, and I remember the dialects of them all. Latin, Pictish, even Elvish(yes, they were real too).

Which brings me to the subject in the title. Ulster is a land that straddles the top part of the Emerald Isle of Ireland, encompassing Donegal and the counties of Northern Ireland. Across this small area there is a huge variation in local speech, but it's only when I came to Belfast that I was truly stumped.

For months, I had no idea what people here were saying, until Colin very kindly suggested the translation program below.

All I can say is, thank goodness he didn't stick completely true to the local dialect, when writing his books. He'd do very well as a novelty book, but I doubt most of the English speaking world would understand a word.

If you don't believer me, listen to the link.



No comments:

Post a Comment